The SAPS would like to urge shoppers to practice safety and be vigilant at all times as thieves anticipate this busy season as well, hoping to turn unaware shoppers into victims of crime.
To ensure that your shopping experience is safe, the SAPS offers a few safety tips:
• If it looks too good to be true, it usually is.
• NEVER send money or give credit card or online account details to anyone you do not know and trust.
• Be careful while downloading new apps for shopping, coupons, deals, etc. Before you click on the download button, do check the app permissions and other information that is being asked by the application.
• Shop online only through trusted sites. While you search for your favourite product online or check out on a fantastic deal, ensure that you click on those websites whose site addresses begin with ‘https’ instead of ‘http’.
• Enable security alerts for all your financial transactions
• Avoid online shopping using public WiFi networks
• Create unique passwords for your accounts online